keltx

The Science of Trust: Emotional Attunement for Couples
John M. Gottman
Taken with You
Shannon Stacey
Until We Touch (Fool's Gold, #15)
Susan Mallery
In Bed With the Devil (Avon Romantic Treasure)
Lorraine Heath
The Wedding of the Century & Other Stories
Kristin James, Charlotte Featherstone, Mary Jo Putney
How to Dance with a Duke
Manda Collins
French Kids Eat Everything: How Our Family Moved to France, Cured Picky Eating, Banned Snacking, and Discovered 10 Simple Rules for Raising Happy, Healthy Eaters - Karen Le Billon I really enjoyed the contrast in the French perception of food vs. those in North America. I am a picky eater (no fruit or seafood) and worry that my kids would inherit the same issues. Without reading this book, I might not have had the tools to prevent my future kids from sharing my anxious relationship with food.

In my opinion, the last generation (or two) have lost the basic skills of buying, storing, preparing and eating food. For example, there are many vegetables I don't consider buying because I don't know how to care for or cook them. The enjoyment of them seems far removed from me because they will never make it to my plate.

The narrowed focus on what food is good and bad, in America, has created a viscous cycle that teaches our children that good (healthy) food tastes bad and bad food (the stuff that tastes good and is most easily accessible) should be avoided. So guess what kids, you are doomed to eating bad tasting food and feeling dissatisfied or eating unhealthy food and feeling guilty and self loathing.

In my view, veggies have been equated with vitamins as a (grudgingly) necessary diet requirement. Is that why we train our children that vegetables have to taste like a vitamin bottle smells? Oh, not you potatoes and corn, you guys are awesome. Broccoli, you stink!

As for thinking differently about food, I found the 10 French Food Rules to be extremely practical and key to understanding some of the missing parts of my bazaar eating habits. You mean there is a way to eat veggies and like them. Yay, what a concept! Now I feel like I have a chance at eating a delicious nutritious meal without feeling like a failure.